Hashcat hashcat.launcher is available! (an alternative to hashcatGUI)

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I'm happy that i have just done version 0.1.1 of hashcat.launcher (yeah there was 0.1.0 with couple issues in Windows)
Anyway..

hashcat.launcher
hashcat.launcher is a cross-platform app that run and control hashcat
it is designed to make it easier to use hashcat offering a friendly graphical user interface

Installation
  • Download a release
  • Extract
  • Execute
Changelog
Refer to CHANGELOG.md

DEMO:
https://i.postimg.cc/JnN314BW/hashcat-launcher-demo.gif

I hope you find it useful, if you have any request / feature to add, let me know
Enjoy :)

karkajoi

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
Looked great, please add the option to download hcmask files, or am I blind?:))

WreckTangle

Reaction score
Credits
My edit button has timed out but I just wanted to add I noticed your comments about a dynamic hash type list on hashcat forum. Thats a very clever idea to future proof your tool. Actually I guess it makes it auto update!

Are there any other features of hashcat which could be dynamically handeled by your tool in the same way?

Great work

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
My edit button has timed out but I just wanted to add I noticed your comments about a dynamic hash type list on hashcat forum. Thats a very clever idea to future proof your tool. Actually I guess it makes it auto update!

Are there any other features of hashcat which could be dynamically handeled by your tool in the same way?

Great work
the dynamic hash type list is being generated every time you load hashcat.launcher or change hashcat version/binary file
"I guess it makes it auto update", actually it just run the --example-hashes flag into hashcat and extract every available hash, so we are sure that hashcat.launcher will load only and all the hash types that your hashcat binaries supports.

"Are there any other features of hashcat which could be dynamically handeled by your tool in the same way?"
I don't know yet, i only made the dynamic load for hash types because hash types really change frequently,
i can do the same for almost everything else like the attack types (dictionary, mask, hybrid, ...) but those are not something to change very frequently, so i hard coded them.

WreckTangle

Reaction score
Credits
i can do the same for almost everything else like the attack types (dictionary, mask, hybrid, ...) but those are not something to change very frequently, so i hard coded them.

I think it is such a clever idea that you came up with that ... if you have the time... you should do it for as many of the options / future options hashcat might make. It may save you time in the long run and ensures whatever version users have of your GUI they should be able to run the latest options within hashcat.

WreckTangle

Reaction score
Credits
All of the following was noted when using the Windows version on Win 7.

Just some suggestions written from a user to a developer, nothing is written as a criticism.

First ever start:

Options Page:

There should be a general setting ini file created in the working directory for appearance and window last location etc.

It's good the hashcat Binary search defaults to the current directory hashcat.launcher starts in for easy user navigation.

Extra Args: When I click on --logfile-disable --restore-disable a blue line appears but I have no idea what is enabled or disabled.

Appearance: (Should this be within the "options page")

Appearance should default to something, perhaps dark.

Scaling should default to something, perhaps Auto.

Launcher:

The logo has been elongated and looks like a dude in swimming trunks. Stare at it for a while and you will see his white legs and torso!!

Hash file drop-down path name goes off the side of the main screen if a long path is selected.

Dictionaries:

Dictionaries is spelt wrong you have "Dictonaries"

In the Dictionaries section it would be nice to have drag and drop to the word-list box.

Once a word-list is loaded the user cannot see to the end of the path name if it is long.

User is unable to remove individual password lists once loaded. Only option to user who accidentally loads a wrong password list is to leave it there or clear all of them.

Please take a look at Blandys "App.HashcatGUI" to see how he arranged word-lists which is very good.

If users clicks "Hash Type" drop down box without first entering a location for hashcat binary "Results will appear here..." appears with no way for the user to close the window.

Mask mode could show user how many character positions have been in-putted. Instead of user having to count 16 x "?1" which is not easy to see it would be useful for the display to show... ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 (16)

Perhaps a disable Markov option?

Batch option would be very useful as on Blandys "App.HashcatGUI"

Sorry to keep referring to Blandy's "App.HashcatGUI" but he got it so right but sadly stopped updating it.

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
@WreckTangle
first, thanks alot for your feedback, and there is nothing wrong in referring to others app at all, this will help me making a better app so keep up bringing whatever app you see that does a better job than hashcat.launcher and that will be changed :)

let's get to your feedback now,
"There should be a general setting ini file created in the working directory for appearance and window last location etc."
this is currently not possible, specially for the appearance settings. (i may explain this later)

"It's good the hashcat Binary search defaults to the current directory hashcat.launcher starts in for easy user navigation."
I'm checking this..., side note: if hashcat.launcher is placed in the same directory as hashcat, it will load automatically so no need to select any file.

"Extra Args: When I click on --logfile-disable --restore-disable a blue line appears but I have no idea what is enabled or disabled."
That's a text area, it's not a check box or something, "--logfile-disable --restore-disable" are the extra default args, the blue line means that this textarea is focused (if it's focused every key your press will be printed)

"Appearance: (Should this be within the "options page") Appearance should default to something, perhaps dark. Scaling should default to something, perhaps Auto."
Making the appearance into the options tab, okay maybe? (are you sure that's a good ux?)... and for the default values that's not possible at the moment too (the same reason as the first request)

"The logo has been elongated and looks like a dude in swimming trunks. Stare at it for a while and you will see his white legs and torso!!"
hmm, no idea XD, that's hashcat's logo, not sure what i should change here...

"Hash file drop-down path name goes off the side of the main screen if a long path is selected."
I'm aware of this, just didn't get an idea how to fix it,, any idea to how it should render in such cases?

"Dictionaries is spelt wrong you have "Dictonaries""
Ooops, noted, this will be fixed in the next release

"In the Dictionaries section it would be nice to have drag and drop to the word-list box."
hmm, that's a nice feature, i will look into this, just no guarantees, while developing hashcat.launcher it must be taken into account that things should works exactly the same for all the os (windows, linux, macos), will update you soon on this...

"Once a word-list is loaded the user cannot see to the end of the path name if it is long."
actually there is a scrollbar, so you scroll and see the full name, but if you have any better idea than a scrollbar let me know

"User is unable to remove individual password lists once loaded. Only option to user who accidentally loads a wrong password list is to leave it there or clear all of them."
Actually you can remove one list, but you have to do it "manually" just select that line and delete it (pressing del button)
I know that's not the perfect choose, i will see if i can implement a list instead of a multi line text area, i think this will make it easier for you

"If users clicks "Hash Type" drop down box without first entering a location for hashcat binary "Results will appear here..." appears with no way for the user to close the window."
Actually you can close the widget pressing Esc (just make sure the search field is not being focused), do you have a better idea of handling this? perhaps add a close button?

"Mask mode could show user how many character positions have been in-putted. Instead of user having to count 16 x "?1" which is not easy to see it would be useful for the display to show... ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 (16)"
that's also a nice feature, i will work on that too

"Perhaps a disable Markov option?"
hmm, i can't find enough place for it, can you? (or just set the extra args to: --markov-disable)

"Batch option would be very useful as on Blandys "App.HashcatGUI""
I never used it, can you explain what is a batch option or maybe a screenshot so i can understand?

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
@WreckTangle

"In the Dictionaries section it would be nice to have drag and drop to the word-list box."
hmm, that's a nice feature, i will look into this, just no guarantees, while developing hashcat.launcher it must be taken into account that things should works exactly the same for all the os (windows, linux, macos), will update you soon on this...
==> This won't be possible in the next few releases, this is kinda a lot of work, perhaps maybe later if i got some extra time :)

"Mask mode could show user how many character positions have been in-putted. Instead of user having to count 16 x "?1" which is not easy to see it would be useful for the display to show... ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 (16)"
that's also a nice feature, i will work on that too
==> I have worked on this locally (demo)

for the rest, i'm waiting for your reply :)

WreckTangle

Reaction score
Credits
hashC.co.uk Please accept my appologies for my slow reply.

I have been busy offline and have just logged in to say sorry. I will reply properly in a few hours when I get chance to sit and write something at my desk.

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
hashC.co.uk Please accept my appologies for my slow reply.

I have been busy offline and have just logged in to say sorry. I will reply properly in a few hours when I get chance to sit and write something at my desk.
No problem at all, you are really helping me and helping other ppl who would use hashcat.launcher
take your time :)

WreckTangle

Reaction score
Credits
I'm checking this..., side note: if hashcat.launcher is placed in the same directory as hashcat, it will load automatically so no need to select any file.

I didn't explain myself very well, the current action is what I was referring to when I said "It's good the hashcat Binary search defaults to the current directory" :) It was just a compliment.

Making the appearance into the options tab, okay maybe? (are you sure that's a good ux?)... and for the default values that's not possible at the moment too (the same reason as the first request)

It was simply a suggestion to reduce tabs and keep things minimal, perhaps if that is not a standard approach then please leave this feature as it is.

hmm, no idea XD, that's hashcat's logo, not sure what i should change here...

LOL It was just a funny observation.
"I'm aware of this, just didn't get an idea how to fix it,, any idea to how it should render in such cases?"

Is it possible to wrap by window?

Or maybe list text files under a path name heading like...

C:\common path\to where\I keep my\password lists\
password list 1
password list 2

C:\common path\to where\I keep my other\password text files\
password list 1
password list 2

Actually you can remove one list, but you have to do it "manually" just select that line and delete it (pressing del button)
I know that's not the perfect choose, i will see if i can implement a list instead of a multi line text area, i think this will make it easier for you

Thank you

Actually you can close the widget pressing Esc (just make sure the search field is not being focused), do you have a better idea of handling this? perhaps add a close button?

A close button please :)

I never used it, can you explain what is a batch option or maybe a screenshot so i can understand?

Batch option is great! It's like a list of batch commands.

It allows the user to take advantage of the GUI to quickly make batch commands to be run either via the GUI or pasted into command at a later time.

The user can line up all these separate batch commands and set them running sequentially. So you might want to set a group of batch commands to use different wordlists with different rules on the same hash list and then you can walk away from your computer and leave it to it.

I am not very good at explaining and I ask that you check out blandy's GUI as I am sure you will understand better from playing around with it than I can explain.

HashcatGUI_1.1beta0.zip

Actually there are so many good features on Blandy's GUI that I was going to suggest you take it over and update it rather than having to start from the beginning. Blandy was such a cool guy with hashkiller and always seemed keen to share his work. I wonder if he would be so impressed with your work so far he might allow you to take it over.

However if you wish to continue or prefer to make your own GUI then I still suggest you look at Blandy's as it is just about as good as it gets except it needs updating a little.

I am very sorry to say my access to the internet will be limited over the next week or so as there is work being carried out on our road and we have been told all telecoms and even gas will be cut off!

Please do not be angry with me for VERY slow replies!!! :(

Thank you for all the work you have done.

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
@WreckTangle
thanks for your reply;

regarding the batch option,; i think there is already a part of this implemented in hashcat.launcher
(just the part where you get the command line or paste is not implemented yet)

"The user can line up all these separate batch commands and set them running sequentially. So you might want to set a group of batch commands to use different wordlists with different rules on the same hash list and then you can walk away from your computer and leave it to it."
You can do that already, and it's in the demo, maybe it was not clear enough, you just have to click on the "Launch hashcat !" button and the attack will be queued, if you want to setup a sequence; let's say a (dictionary attack + rules) + (dictionary attack + rules) + (mask attack), just do it and click on the button "Launch hashcat !" and those attacks will start one after another;
Additionally, you can set how many attacks to run at a time, by default it will run only one attack, then after it's finished move to the next one, you can increase that to let's say 2 attacks at a time, by going to Options and change the Mac Active Sessions to 2. (also make sure that Auto Session Start is set to Enable)
here is another demo ; in this demo i made 3 attacks for one list, and all the attacks were being queued and being processed one after another.

"Actually there are so many good features on Blandy's GUI that I was going to suggest you take it over and update it rather than having to start from the beginning. Blandy was such a cool guy with hashkiller and always seemed keen to share his work. I wonder if he would be so impressed with your work so far he might allow you to take it over."
hashcatGUI is really limited to windows, (it uses cmd.exe and batch scripts)
i made hashcat.launcher just because hashcatGUI was not a cross-platform app, so i'm gonna stick on developing hashcat.launcher and will try to cover any missing features as much as possible, besides hashcat.launcher is open-source so anyone can contribute by coding or submitting issues or by requesting features :)

I will update you soon...

hashC.co.uk

Contributor
Reaction score
Credits
v0.1.2 is now available !

[0.1.2] - 25/04/2020
Fixed:
  • Spelling errors
  • Fields were limited and can't type long arguments
Changed:
  • Hash Type search field is now fixed at the top
  • Merged appearanceScreen to optionsScreen
Added:
  • Mask attack supports hcmask files
  • Mask length counter
  • Help messages

Thanks to @karkajoi and @WreckTangle

@WreckTangle Some of the requests are not included in this version, but will most likely be in further versions

Hope you all find this useful, if you got any requests/questions let me know