Need help with Veracrypt container. how to get a hash for you guys to work with ?

Monica

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
Im not super fluent in hashes so please be patient with me..

I have a veracrypt container that has been encrypted with a password. Client says he remembers the password more or less but having tried all the combinations its not opening.
There is a possibility that the file is corrupted, but most likely the password was forgotten.
there is a very old dated backup as well, but for that (a different ..) password is completely forgotten

Now, how do i extract a hash from it so i can have you guys have a go at it ?

i can pay 300-500$ for the working password, but i understand that i shouldn't post this in paid password recovery without actual hash attached.

i dont know where to begin and googling that proven that i dont know how to google things..

Please help

logos

Reaction score
Credits
If possible, you could also ask your client if they have any recollection at all what hash algorithm they chose when creating the container.
It's a long shot but would make the work a bit shorter if they happened to remember it.

Monica

Reaction score
Credits

freeroute

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Credits
Truecrypt and veracrypt operate the same ?

I know it, it's the default one SHA-512
"The procedure to extract the important information from data encrypted with VeraCrypt follows the same steps/rules as for TrueCrypt: see How do I extract the hashes from TrueCrypt volumes?
It's important that you do not forget to adapt the hash mode (-m). For all supported hash modes for data encrypted with VeraCrypt, please have a glance at the --help output."

Monica

Reaction score
Credits
OK, is there ELI5 version of that instruction ? idk where to begin. the thing is an encrypted file container, so option 3 and im to extract first 512 bytes.. using what ?..

freeroute

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Credits
OK, is there ELI5 version of that instruction ? idk where to begin. the thing is an encrypted file container, so option 3 and im to extract first 512 bytes.. using what ?..
"You'll need to extract the first 512 bytes of the target volume, save them as a file, and use that file as the hashcat target. (Boot drives require pulling the 512 bytes starting later in the drive, but non-boot drives can be treated like file-level containers, pulling the first 512 bytes.)

On Windows, you can use dd for windows to do so. Use dd --list to determine the drive ID for the drive, and then:
dd if=\\.\Volume{volume-guid} of=c:\temp\veracrypt-target.img bs=512 count=1

and:
hashcat -a 3 -w 3 -m 137xx c:\temp\veracrypt-target.img"

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/159461/hashcat-on-veracrypt-non-system-drive
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-5833.html

Monica

Reaction score
Credits
Yea i misunderstood, i dont know what "drive id" is in this context..

Monica

Reaction score
Credits
OK it's taken me a while but i think i got the files hashed, now do i make a new thread ?